Monday, May 16, 2011

Things white kids liked in the 90's: Quoting Dazed and Confused

The day after I graduated grade eight, Matt Emigh rented Dazed and Confused. It was newand I hadn't even heard of it but Matt was always current with his films... and the Montreal Canadians. A bunch of the graduating class of R.G. Sinclair went back to my house to watch it in my basement but we were more interested in gossiping and eating pizza than watching the movie. How typical was it for a bunch of suburban kids to be inside on a beautiful June day, sitting in a basement with the tvon but not paying attention to it? Wasted youth. I don't think I actually watched Dazed and Confused until we rented it again with Matt Emigh when I was 17 and I taped it that time. We had also bought beer at Mr. Beer the brew by you that to sold teenagers to compliment our evening while smoking cigarettes in my parents rec room while they were out of town. The dubbing of this film led me to memorizing the entire movie which also led to all of my friends memorizing it. Dazed and Confused became staple viewing within my group of friends, so much that two games were formed out of watching it. The first was a drinking game, where you had to take a drink every time Mitch Kramer touches his face. In the scene outside the Emporium I think he touches his face 19 times inside of two minutes. The other was even simpler, you'd get a punch in the arm if you quoted the movie while watching it with your friends. This obviously stemmed from the fact that all we did was recite the movie while watching it thus ruining the film for everyone else, so we installed a penalty system.
Dazed and Confused connected with us so well because it was about us. Even though Slater, Pink, Donny, Benny, Mitch, Pickford and Wooderson were from 1976 Texas, they were just another bunch of bored white kids living in a small city with nothing to do but drive around and party in the forest. Everyone had a popular athlete at their school who hung out with the stoners, everyone had an older guy who was still clinging onto his youth in high school to stay feeling young and pick up impressionable young girls. I was amazed how a generation with a twenty year separation from mine exactly the same, it showed me how slowly small city life progresses. Technology changed but teen life hadn't, they drove around with 8 tracks, we had CD players, that was about it. We still all smoked pot, drank beers, smoked cigarettes, interacted with the opposite sex and felt bored all the same as the teenagers from the movie. It gave you sense of ease, like you weren't alone, that everyone goes through the same thing, which you don't know until you're in your twenties.
Lastly, if you haven't watched Dazed and Confused in a while, watch it again, in my opinion it is under rated from a film stand point. Richard Linklater wrote and directed an entire film about one solid day with a cast of about twenty characters that you care about. It's difficult to direct and write a film where you care about even one character, but there is not a dull moment in Dazed and Confused and you care about what happens to everyone in that film.

2 comments:

Steveriffic said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gavin27 said...

I remember picking this up at Jumbo Video at the Kingston Centre with no idea what it was, and a few of us watched it and were like "Wow, this is the most awesome movie ever." I've been pulling quotes from it ever since. A Stone(d) Cold classic.